Friday, March 18, 2011

Traveling down the Nile in Ancient Egypt


Looking out off the deck into the setting sun, I feel the sun’s energy warm my face. I sedately walk to the bench; I slowly sit as my bones ach from time spent in the heat of the sun. I feel the rock of the gentle waves pass through the hull of the boat. The calm wind lifts my sun bleached hair and then calmly puts it back in place. I see out into the horizon, miles and miles of a dense blue road, everlasting.
 Looking out on the sides of ‘road’ the scenery changes every second. One moment there might be a bountiful amount of date trees, another moment there might be a barren waste land. Still I gaze upon the scenery for hours, never, ever board. We are traveling down from Memphis all the way to Aswan; we are about half way there. Traveling up stream is a lot harder, yet we have made pretty good time. I am going to meet my great uncle; he says he has someone that I am going to marry. I remember six summers ago when I was 7 my mother taught me about the ways of marriage. Now I am finally going, nervous but ready to be a full grown woman. Thankfully, Abir, my servant will occupancy me in my first meeting of my new husband. 
Captain Syed says we will be there in a matter of three whole nights. I disagree, since we are going up stream. None of my opinions will be heard though. I lean into the wind when smelling the fresh baladi bread coming out of the oven. I sigh as this will be one of the last times I will be able to be alone outside. I step into the fading sun one last time, just before I go down into the darkness, for I am a grown woman.


No comments:

Post a Comment